Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Back to Yellowstone...

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Today we went back to Yellowstone so Mom could take the pictures she didn't get when it started to rain the other day.  We didn't do too good in the critter department - only saw cow and calf elk a couple of times and they were too far away for pictures. 

We went to Old Faithful first, but it had just don it's thing, so Dad drove to West Yellowstone, which is in Montana.  Now I get another state for my map!  Mom and Dad had lunch there and of course I got some of the leftovers.

We came back and retraced our ride from the other day.  Mom did a lot of waking while Dad and I stayed in the truck or sat and waited for her on benches. When we sit on a bench or something, I sure do draw a lot of attention - everybody wants to pet me and they tell Dad what a nice or pretty girl I am (oh, if they only knew).


We have had thunderstorms almost every afternoon, and today was no exception.  It was late after we watched Old Faithful go off, so Dad took Mom to dinner (Mom had prime rib just so I could have some leftovers - thanks Mom), and while they were eating there was a storm that blew through.  When Dad went to get into the truck, his seat was full of pine needles!
 
Here are some of the pictures Mom took - she was a little disappointed, because the clouds came back in, so the pools weren't quite as bright without the sunlight...
Tree done in by the geysers!


What a pretty shade of blue

Boiling mud!  OUCH!


Here come those thunder storms again!


I think this is a little too hot for a bath!


This is how Mom found us - Dad is second from the right.
Do you see his (bald) head?

Too bad the sun wasn't shining bright on this one -
lots of cloud reflection!


OK, this one is definitely too hot for a bath!


Some of the stuff that grows
around the springs - looks like
a sponge


Here's some more...









Old Faithful - lighting is all wrong -
darn clouds anyway!

 
 
 
 
Tomorrow is our last day here, and then we will head farther West.  Mom said we are going to go see a long time friend of hers in Idaho - "Grandma Gog" has been leaving comments once in a while to my blog, so now I get to meet her.  I have a feeling she may spoil me just a little.  We didn't post on her birthday, so here is a Belated Happy Birthday to Grandma Gog.  She and Mom are the same age, only two weeks apart - but Mom is the older one!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bessy (& Hal and Lyn),

    We met you at Yellowstone about a week ago. Bessy was sitting on the cement bench and our 5 kids plus 2 others that were traveling with us from England were loving visiting with Bessy. I told you that we would look for your blog and here we are. It was a blessing to meet you and now we'll bookmark your blog to check in with you from time to time.

    I think it's terrific that you are on this adventure.

    If you get a chance, take a look at my blog here:

    http://bussecrew.blogspot.com (It's called, "Joy in the Journey")

    All our best,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete